Every year, millions of people in the U.S. see chiropractors to relieve ailments. Chiropractors utilize treatments including joint manipulation, physical therapy modalities, patient education, manual therapy, nutrition, and rehabilitation exercises to address each patient’s unique situation. What are the top reasons people see a chiropractor?
When to See a Chiropractor
Here are four reasons you should see a chiropractor:
• Low back pain
• Neck pain
• Muscle and joint pain and stiffness
1. Low back pain. Chiropractors have a lot of experience treating back pain, particularly low back pain. Chiropractors are trained to diagnose the specific cause of back pain and are trained in effective therapies, including prescriptions for exercise and ergonomic advice. Chiropractors are dedicated to using conservative, non-surgical, and medication-free therapies. This is particularly important because some physicians prescribe potentially addictive opioids for back pain.
2. Neck pain. Whether your sore neck is from a whiplash injury or just sitting at your desk too much, chiropractic can offer a safe and effective variety of treatments. Chiropractic treatments for neck pain can include:
• Gentle spinal manipulation
• Stretching exercises
• Lifestyle advice
3. Headaches. Many types of headaches are associated with chronic neck stiffness and muscle tightness. Chiropractors offer effective, drug-free treatment options, including gentle neck manipulations.
4. Muscle and joint pain and stiffness. Although chiropractors are widely viewed as spine experts, most practitioners can effectively treat nerve, muscle, and joint pain throughout the body. Chiropractors can treat carpal tunnel syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome, tennis elbow and hip, knee, or ankle pain.
What Chiropractors Do
Chiropractors treat people by aligning their spines. During the first visit, chiropractors typically perform a physical exam and take a health history, paying special attention to the spine and whether the patient has normal bone density. People with lower levels of bone density, such as patients with osteoporosis, would receive gentler treatments. The chiropractor typically uses their hands to apply controlled, rapid force to a damaged or injured joint to allow the joint to move in a normal manner and reduce pain and inflammation. Chiropractors also treat some patients for headaches caused by nerve irritation that refers pain to the head. Treatment can alleviate these headaches by reducing nerve irritation.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Research suggests that chiropractic care is beneficial. In a study published in Spine Journal, researchers evaluated the chiropractic treatment experiences of 192 people with back-related pain or sciatica, a condition in which a pinched nerve in the lower spine causes leg pain. The treatment they received for pain was rated worthwhile by 87% of the participants.
Questions? Contact us or call 608.781.2225 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bronston at the Bronston Chiropractic Clinic in Onalaska, WI or Dr. Sterba at the Bronston Chiropractic Clinic in La Crosse, WI.
Source: U.S. News & World Report 8/24/2020 4 Signs You Should See a Chiropractor | U.S. News (usnews.com)